Celeste Beard Johnson is an American actress and former model who is best known for her high-profile marriage to the late Steven Beard Johnson, an heir to the Johnson & Johnson fortune. She is also well known for being in a wheelchair since her tragic accident in 2001. In this article, we will explore the reasons why Celeste Beard Johnson is in a wheelchair and offer seven tips for wheelchair users.
What Happened to Celeste Beard Johnson?
Celeste Beard Johnson suffered a devastating accident in 2001 that left her paralyzed from the waist down. On the night of the accident, Johnson was at her home in Austin, Texas when her estranged husband, Steven Beard Johnson, broke in and attempted to murder her. Steven Beard Johnson shot Celeste in the neck and then attempted to shoot himself. The gunshot to her neck severed her spinal cord, resulting in her paralysis.
How Does Celeste Beard Johnson Use Her Wheelchair?
Celeste Beard Johnson uses her wheelchair to get around and to maintain her independence. She has also become an advocate for disabled rights, speaking out about the need for more wheelchair access in public spaces. She also promotes the use of adaptive sports such as wheelchair basketball, tennis, and rugby for those with disabilities.
Seven Tips for Wheelchair Users
1. Get the Right Fit: Make sure that your wheelchair is the right size and weight for you. Your wheelchair should be comfortable and provide the necessary support for your body.
2. Stay Active: Keep your muscles strong and your body active by engaging in regular physical activities such as wheelchair sports or swimming.
3. Stay Connected: Stay in touch with friends and family by using technology such as video calls, social media, and email.
4. Utilize Assistive Technology: Take advantage of the many assistive technologies available to make everyday tasks easier.
5. Plan Ahead: When planning to travel or attend an event, research ahead of time to ensure that the location is wheelchair-accessible.
6. Get Involved: Join a local support group or organization for wheelchair users. This can help you stay connected and informed about the latest advancements in wheelchair technology.
7. Take Care of Your Wheelchair: Make sure to maintain your wheelchair regularly to ensure that it is in good working order.
Celeste Beard Johnson is an inspiring example of how one can remain independent and active despite being in a wheelchair. By following the tips outlined in this article, wheelchair users can stay safe and maintain their independence. We hope that Celeste’s story will help to raise awareness of the need for more wheelchair access and resources for those with disabilities.