Do beards grow faster than hair? This is a question that has been asked by men around the world for centuries. It is a popular belief that beards grow faster than hair, but is it true? In this article, we will explore the science behind beard growth and discuss seven tips for growing a thicker, fuller beard.
What Is the Difference Between Hair and Beard Growth?
The main difference between hair and beard growth is the type of hair follicle. Hair follicles are the small pockets in the skin from which hairs grow. Hair follicles come in two main types: vellus and terminal.
Vellus hair follicles are small and produce fine, soft hairs. These are the type of follicles that produce the peach fuzz on a person’s face and other parts of the body. Terminal hair follicles are larger and produce thicker, darker hairs. These are the type of follicles that produce beards and other body hair.
Do Beards Grow Faster Than Hair?
The short answer is no. Beards do not grow faster than hair. The rate of growth for both hair and beard follicles is the same, about 1/2 inch per month. However, because beards are usually composed of thicker, darker hairs, they may appear to grow faster than the fine hairs on a person’s head.
7 Tips for Growing a Thicker, Fuller Beard
1. Use a Beard Oil: Beard oil helps to keep the skin and hair follicles healthy, which can promote faster growth.
2. Eat a Balanced Diet: Eating a diet that is rich in protein, vitamins, and minerals can help to promote healthy hair growth.
3. Avoid Stress: Stress can have a negative effect on hair growth, so it is important to find ways to manage stress.
4. Exercise Regularly: Exercise can help to promote better circulation, which can help to stimulate hair growth.
5. Use a Boar Bristle Brush: Brushing the beard with a boar bristle brush can help to remove dead skin cells and stimulate the follicles.
6. Get Enough Sleep: Getting enough sleep is important for overall health, including hair growth.
7. Trim Regularly: Regularly trimming the beard can help to keep it looking neat and can help to promote faster growth.
Beard growth is determined by the type of follicle, not the rate of growth. Beards do not grow faster than hair, but because they are composed of thicker, darker hairs, they may appear to grow faster. Following the seven tips above can help to promote healthier, faster beard growth.