Bearded dragons are interesting and popular reptiles that make great pets. They can live up to 15 years with proper care, so it’s important to know what to feed your bearded dragon to ensure they stay healthy. One of the most common questions asked by bearded dragon owners is, “Can bearded dragons eat fruit?”
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Fruit?
The short answer is yes, bearded dragons can eat fruit. However, it should not make up the majority of their diet. Fruits should be given as an occasional treat, and should not exceed 10% of their total diet. Bearded dragons are omnivores, and their diet should include a combination of insects and vegetables.
Fruits are a great source of vitamins and minerals, but they are also high in sugar and carbohydrates. Too much sugar and carbohydrates can lead to obesity and other health problems in bearded dragons. It’s important to be careful when feeding fruit to your bearded dragon and to ensure that it’s given in moderation.
7 Tips for Feeding Fruit to Bearded Dragons
1. Avoid fruits that are high in sugar, such as bananas, grapes, and apples.
2. Offer a variety of fruits, such as melons, peaches, and pears.
3. Cut the fruit into small pieces to make it easier for your bearded dragon to eat.
4. Feed fruit only as an occasional treat, not as a regular part of their diet.
5. Avoid giving your bearded dragon fruits that are high in oxalates, such as strawberries and raspberries.
6. Remove any uneaten fruit from the enclosure after a few hours to prevent spoilage.
7. Monitor your bearded dragon’s weight and health to ensure they are not becoming overweight.
Bearded dragons can enjoy eating fruit as an occasional treat, but it should not make up the majority of their diet. Fruits are high in sugar and carbohydrates and can lead to obesity and other health problems if given in excess. It’s important to be mindful of the types of fruits you feed your bearded dragon and to offer them in moderation. With proper care and nutrition, your bearded dragon can live a long and healthy life.