The ancient Romans are well known for their iconic beards, but what many people don’t know is that they also had to shave. This article will discuss the methods the Romans used to shave their beards and will provide seven tips to help you achieve the perfect Roman shave.
How Did Romans Shave Their Beards?
The Romans had several methods of shaving their beards. One of the most common methods was the use of a straight razor. Straight razors were made of bronze or iron, and the blades were sharpened on a whetstone. Another method was to use a razor-like tool called a “scalprum” to cut the beard. The scalprum was made of bronze and had a sharp edge.
The Romans also used pumice stones to help soften their beards before shaving. The stones were rubbed on the skin to help remove dead skin cells and soften the beard. Additionally, the Romans used a type of soap called “sapo” to help lubricate the skin and beard for a smoother shave.
Tips for Achieving the Perfect Roman Shave
• Invest in a good quality straight razor. A good straight razor is essential for achieving the perfect Roman shave. Make sure you choose one with a sharp blade and a comfortable handle.
• Use a pumice stone to soften your beard before shaving. Rubbing the pumice stone on your face will help remove dead skin cells and soften the beard.
• Use a quality shaving soap. The Romans used a special type of soap called “sapo” to help lubricate the skin and beard.
• Shave in the direction of hair growth. This will help prevent irritation and razor burn.
• Use a sharp blade. A dull blade will cause irritation and can lead to nicks and cuts.
• Rinse your face with cold water after shaving. This will help close the pores and reduce irritation.
• Apply a moisturizer after shaving. This will help hydrate the skin and reduce irritation.
The ancient Romans had several methods of shaving their beards, from using a straight razor to using a pumice stone. By following the tips outlined above, you can achieve the perfect Roman shave. Invest in a good quality straight razor, use a pumice stone to soften the beard, use a quality shaving soap, shave in the direction of hair growth, use a sharp blade, rinse your face with cold water after shaving, and apply a moisturizer after shaving. With the right tools and techniques, you can get the perfect Roman shave.